Washstand Project 2015
The interior back wall that I just finished required the longest arm reach to get the job done. Now I flipped the stand onto its left and right sides respectively to be able to comfortably strip the paint from these.
Using exactly the same technique as for the back, I applied stripper in sections and removed the loosened paint with my scraper(s). Since the bottom of the drawer support (shown on the left side in the photo) will be seen when the door is open, it had to be stripped as well.
The back lower edge was messier because it was small, right-angled, and had the gap in it where the drawer and floor supports were anchored. Enter some more tools.
I can’t say enough good things about old sports socks. I use them constantly in my refinishing projects. I rub things, wipe things, mop up stuff and smear stuff on them until they are a mess on the outside. Then I turn them inside out to gain a second equal work surface before finally tossing them away.
My seemingly endless supply source are the holey hand-me-downs from my sons. I keep them in a bin in the basement and they all know to save them for me. Cotton is the key. So ask people for them – the world is full of old cotton socks!
Tool #9: Work Gloves
My first choice in work gloves is a set of plain old garden gloves, the cotton kind. They are not as protective as rubber gloves but they are still pretty good and they are ever so much cooler. I have been working with paint strippers for so long that the little drips that get on my hands now and then don’t bother me but when I am digging around in an area as I was here, I do wear them.
Then I sanded it well and repeated everything on the other side.
The photos below show the outer washstand frame where the walls attach to it. I always find it easiest to work on everything in front of me while it is flat on my work surface, so I stripped and sanded these areas as I did the inside walls.
Here are the “before” photos of the right side, including the inner wall of the leg. There was varnish rather than paint, but the procedure was exactly the same.
Here are the matching “after” photos.
OK. Sides are done. On to the floor!